Now that the Trump administration has announced that DACA protections will end in 6 months, we must push Congress to pass a clean and standalone DREAM Act to ensure that our 800,000 DREAMers can continue to pursue the American Dream.
What You Can Do
1. Tell Senator Orrin Hatch to co-sponsor and support a clean and standalone DREAM Act.
Hatch DC Office - 202.224.5251
Hatch UT Office - 801.524.4380
Click HERE to email Sen. Hatch (use the topic "immigration")
Sen. Orrin Hatch
104 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510-0001
2. Tell Your Congresswoman or Congressman to support a clean and standalone DREAM Act.
Congressman Rob Bishop (District 1)
DC Office - 202.225.0453
UT Office - 801.625.0107
Click HERE to email Rep. Bishop (select issue "immigration")
Congresswoman Mia Love (District 4)
DC Office - 202.225.3011
UT Office - 801.996.8729
Click HERE to email Rep. Love (select issue "immigration")
Note: Utah Congressional District 3 is currently vacant.
3. Tell Senator Mike Lee to support a clean and standalone DREAM Act.
The main point is that you, as a constituent, want your voice heard and want the House and Senate to pass a clean and standalone DREAM Act before DACA expires.
Personal stories matter. If you have a personal story to illustrate the importance of DACA to your life, your family, your business, your education, your faith, or any other meaningful way, share that story.
Below are some additional talking points that you may want to include:
- Ending DACA threatens the life opportunities for 10,512 Utahns and 800,000 young people across the country.
- For many DREAMers, America is all they’ve ever known. America is their home. 73% of DACA recipients have a sibling, spouse, or child who is a U.S. citizen. Tearing them away from their family and community is morally repugnant.
- These young people are pursuing the American Dream (going to school, working, starting a business, buying a home) and contributing to Utah’s economy.
- DACA recipients account for $476.4 million in Utah’s annual GDP. DREAMers have earned the right to stay.
- DREAMers are innocent victims of a broken immigration system. We/They came here as children and punishing a child for the actions of their parents is simply un-American.
- Don’t let politics change your view of these young people. They are not line items, tokens, or liabilities; DREAMers are human beings that deserve dignity and respect.
- The DACA program has enjoyed the support of businesses, faith leaders, law enforcement, educational institutions, and nearly every conscionable person.
- More than 75% of registered voters support letting DREAMers stay or providing them a pathway to citizenship. Don’t be on the wrong side of history.
We will continue to update this post with new info and new ways to support DREAMers going forward.